Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why did I volunteer for this?


A 'friend' asked me in February if I'd be interested in doing a relay race from LaCrosse, WI to Minneapolis, MN (198 miles). I don't consider myself a runner but I do like challenges and this sounded as good as any.







Ragnar Relay is an annual 12 person relay race. This year saw 180 teams enter. We started Friday afternoon and finished Saturday afternoon. Yes, running continually through the night. Two vans (6 people each).

People estimate how long it will take their team to complete the race with start times from 8:00AM to 2:00PM. The idea is that everyone finishes the race around the same time. We had an overzealous team captain who started us at 11:00AM.

We stayed close to our runner the entire time. We would drive ahead a few miles and offer water and a motivational cheer. As darkness started to settle in our runners had to put on reflective vests.










I was in Van 2 and the last runner (#12) to run. Unfortunately during our leapfrogging* we ran the car battery so low it wouldn't start again. Our runner was getting close to the next transition so I had to hitch a ride with another team's van. Meghan had been standing at the transition for 10 minutes so I had to make up some time. My first leg was 7.9 miles starting around 10:30PM. Completely dark and running on the side of the road with headlamps and reflective clothing didn't make me feel extraordinarily safe on a Friday night. I had no support vehicle so was dying for water. I'm sooooo thankful that at mile 5 Meghan was able to borrow someone's brand new lexus SUV to bring me some water. That guy is uber generous considering she was still sweaty from her run.

*(Speaking of Leapfrogging)
Runner #10 had run in a complete downpour. By the time it was my turn to run there were hundreds of frogs on the road. The headlamp didn't provide much light so I was stepping on frogs occasionally. Apparently a runner from another team stepping INTO a dead raccoon. I'll take the frogs any day!

Here I've just finished my race and am handing off our sweaty reflective vest to Van 1. The vest had been worn by three sweaty runners and would be worn by 3 more that night!

30 minutes after finishing 7.9 grueling miles we were all gorging on spaghetti in Red Wing at Katie's parents house. We all showered (except for Matt who liked to feel 'rugged') and grabbed about 3 hours of sleep before we had to meet up with Van 1 again.

My next run was only 3 miles and went over the bridge into Stillwater. I had to run it at a good pace for fear of having to wait for the lift bridge to come down. We again handed off to Van 1 and proceeded to eat at a small diner in Stillwater.

My final leg was the one that would bring our team across the finish line. It was 5.8 beautiful miles along the Mississippi. I went right next to my office at the UofM and was encouraged because I could visualize how far I had left to the finish line. Crossed the Stone Arch Bridge where everyone and their mothers seemed to be taking wedding photos. I was in a race so I couldn't wait for them to take their shot. Hopefully I'll be in someone's photo album as "That Guy"

Got lost 1 mile from the finish line. Thankfully someone redirected me after wasting 0.5 miles. I was so close I could see the finish line and what happens? A train decides its time to go through! Arghhh! I just wanted to be done! Finally, with my body crying to be done, I made it to the finish line where the team was waiting.



15 minutes later we were all eating pizza. In case you didn't notice there was a theme of eating immediately after each run. Not fun.

Here is the entire team. What a race! I don't know if I'll ever do it again but am definitely glad I was able to meet some great people and develop a lasting memory.

3 comments:

Valerie said...

Great effort, well-written story and congrats on finishing strong. How close did you team come to meeting the time goal that it/the captain/someone had set?

ilona said...

i have the same question - how close to your predicted finish time did you finish?? are you on again for next year??

BlogWithinABlog said...

If I remember correctly we were shooting for an 8:30 pace so we were slightly slower but not bad at all. (8:38)

Took us 29 hours and 28 minutes to complete

Here are the results. http://www.ragnarrelay.com/wasatchback/RagnarOverallResults.html

We were team McLovin (I think the name comes from a movie)