Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Learning is fun


"A person doesn't become old until he exchanges his dreams for regrets" -someone


I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to learning. I'd love to spend all my time sitting at the feet of experts in all sorts of disciplines. When we are driving in the car I like to listen to audiobooks like "The Biography of E=MC2" . I love music but will spend my commute time listening to MPR or talk radio so that I'm learning something.


Naphtali thinks I should become a professor because my eyes light up when I step foot onto a university. Unfortunately I can't say I feel like an expert in any area other than being an expert in being fascinated Hmmm... perhaps a Masters and PHD in Fascination?

One fascination I've always gotten a quizzical look from is beekeeping. Bees are fascinating! Communities and communications went unknown by humans until some researcher actually devoted time to learn more about bees. I bet the first research article sure got people buzzing ;) [Naphtali you have to admit that one was funny]

I don't know what it is but bees just astound me. Their benefits to crops and this world are taken for granted. These small little guys need to hear a few cheers from us humans for everything they do. Hip Hip Hor....ok nevermind...

I've never been a beekeeper but hope to acquire enough knowledge to someday start my own hive. Oh, I suppose I should also state the need of approval from my wife and son. Aidan has this uncanny ability of being stung by bees and might not like having a whole colony in his backyard. Perhaps it is his sweet personality. (inherited from his father of course)


Aidan and I have volunteered time helping the local beekeepers group clean hives. While working I'm asking all sorts of questions. One guy was definitely a bee connoisseur. I couldn't believe the questions he was able to answer. How far can a bee fly? How high can a bee fly? How much honey could a bee honey honey if a bee honey could honey honey?


Naphtali knows that I love to encourage people to set goals and pursue them. Seeing people give up on their dreams big and small is always tough on me. Remember when you were a kid and you used to dream of becoming an astronaut, firefighter, scientist, or a beekeeper? Don't pause to deny it. Just go with the flow and accept beekeeping was at ONE point a dream you had.

Why do we give up on our dreams? Pursue your dreams and have a kick butt funeral when you die. Learn as much as you can and do as many things as you can.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, honeycomb in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO HOO what a ride!"


If you haven't seen the movie Big Fish please watch it. I cried like a baby at the end. [Yes, even aspiring beekeepers cry too!] The funeral at the end would make even the hardest of you fellow beekeepers cry.


Funny enough This link (must watch!) is what prompted my thoughts about learning and this post. I find that often a person gives up on learning something a little more complex like math or physics because it wasn't explained in a way that they could easily understand. The video takes a topic like understanding the fourth dimension and steps people through in a simple fashion. Their method is really cool.

Check it out and while you're learning check this site out too. Better Explained

Once you are done with both of those sites give me a call and we can chat. Just don't ask me about crying or I'll tell you to mind your own beeswax. [OK, Naphtali, I know you didn't laugh at the first one but what about now?]

P.S. I need to 'learn' how to tell a joke according to Naphtali.

5 comments:

ilona said...

did you ever talk with uncle ben about bees??

BlogWithinABlog said...

Unfortunately not. I think his grandson inherited the equipment and had some bees down by Rochester.

My goal is to help a beekeeper out next spring. I'll volunteer to do any heavy lifting so that I can follow them around and learn.

Valerie said...

Did you ask about the mass and mysterious disappeance of so many bees over the past couple of years? Or have they started reappearing again? I once took a group of visitors from Azerbaijan to meet with a beekeeper who lives outside of Perry, Iowa. He made more money shipping his bees to California during the winter to "work" in the almond orchards than he did from the production of honey. The Azerbaijanies declared his honey to be almost as good as their's. I agree with you, James, about the sheer joy that comes from the acquisition of knowledge of all kinds.

ilona said...

sounds like a good opportunity for you.

BlogWithinABlog said...

It appears that they really don't know why CCD is happening. It definitely isn't due to cell phone towers like the media reported last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_Collapse_Disorder