Thursday, August 28, 2008

What will people say about you

My previous entry talked about having a fun funeral. I've always thought it would be great to have a cool obituary.

Apparently Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple was given that opportunity when Bloomberg accidentally released his obituary today.

Telegraph.co.uk

On Jobs's ambition:

When Jobs was in the 10th grade at Homestead High School in Cupertino, he assured his then girlfriend Chris-Ann Brennan he was going to become a millionaire, according to the "Second Coming of Jobs" by Alan Deutschman.

"Steve had these dreams of becoming one of the great people that has companies and makes products that change the world," Steve Wozniak [with whom Jobs founded Apple] said in August 2008. "One of the few people like the Shakespeare's and Einstein's that get well known - he wanted to be in that group."

On Jobs's sometimes fiery temper:

In his quest to create what he called "insanely great" products, Jobs earned a reputation for being mercurial, sometimes screaming at his employees, according to biographer Deutschman.

"It's painful when you have some people who are not the best people in the world," Jobs said in a 1995 oral history interview with the Smithsonian Institution. "My job has sometimes exactly been that - to get rid of some people who didn't measure up."


What would your premature obituary say about you right now?

2 comments:

On Second Street said...

do you want me to start writing yours?

Anonymous said...

Hi James, this is Mike Amundson. We found your blog from a link on Napthali's blog which we found from Facebook. Quite a rabbit trail, eh?

I wanted to comment on this post because it is something I have been thinking about recently, too. I have been studying the Kings of Judah and have been teaching what I've learned in our church. Recently we discussed Jehoram and his life. He's the guy who endured a horrible intestinal disease because he refused to follow the Lord. At the end of his life the Bible says he died "to no one's sorrow." It made me think of the word "legacy".

Then that makes me think of the song by Ryan Syvrud, "When they lay my body down, in my resting place in the ground, what will there be in the memory of all those standing around?" Then the song continues, "Did my life to others bless? Will my legacy be that they saw Jesus in me? When my work on earth is done, did it bring glory to Your Son?"

Since Mary's folks are up in years I sometimes think of what their funeral will be like. Her dad is a wonderful witness; at his funeral we'll probably hear the song, "I Love to Tell the Story" and speak of his love for Christ and how he shared that with others. It makes me think of the things in my life that I've "accomplished" and how that I can gain the whole world and it profit nothing if it is not what Jesus wants. I'm remined of Jim Elliot and his quote, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

The concept of "legacy" has challenged me. What is my legacy? Did they see Jesus in me? Will they speak of me at my funeral or of my Savior? Who did they see more? "He must increase, but I must decrease."

If you're ever in the area maybe we could "do lunch" :-) You have my work email from LinkedIn, feel free to spin me a note if you'd like. A lot of time has passed, but we think of you often. You were a wonderful friend and we have such fond memories of our time at NDSU.