Thursday, June 25, 2009

The End... of the end of that ending thing




Naphtali has done a good job of letting the world know that I'm losing (lost) my job. Our primary benefactor lost tons of money to Bernie Madoff who needs to take a trip to Singapore for a little caning of his tushy. Oh well. Like all non-profits we all were in a hurt box.

Well... today was my last day. Yes, I am a packrat who likes to keep things as memories. (Now humming "Memories") My beloved co-worker made the comment as I was leaving that she had been working for 25 years and in 2 years I had accumulated more 'stuff' than she had. To that I responded with the appropriate, "Slacker!"

[Short aside- I'm now listening to my favorite Jean Valjean: Colm Wilkinson. If I have a man crush on Hugh Jackman I have a voice crush on Colm. Too bad he doesn't sing the song that makes me tear up every time. "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables"]

[Short aside over... almost] I see a strong correlation between what my co-workers will likely be singing tomorrow. Instead it will be "Empty Office without James" Same passion and sorrow of course.

Listen to the link and then follow along with my awe enspiring lyrics. Andrew Lloyd Webber should be quaking in his boots.


"Empty Office Without James"
Written, Directed, Choreographed, Published, etc by: James

There's a grief that can't be spoken. There's a pain goes on and on. Empty office without James. Now my co-worker is laid off and gone. Here he talked of Entrepreneurship. Here it was he lit the flame (of entrepreneurship in other students). Here he sang about tomorrow...and how our generation can lead the way.

From the corner office on the top floor he could see a world reborn. And he rose with the telephone ringing. And we can hear him now, the very words that he had said. became our last true blessing. in the lonely office space.... without him....

Oh my friends my friends forgive me, that I talk all the time about James. There's a grief that can't be spoken. There's a pain goes on and on. James' picture he placed on the door. A 'James' floormat on the floor. Empty office without James. Now my sorrows will cease no more. Oh my friends my friends. Don't ask me, how I can live without him here. Empty office without James. Now James will be here........ no more...........

[Aside now over. I present you with electronic tissues to wipe away the tears from such a beautiful song]


To top the day off I was invited to play some basketball with a few undergrads. Them young wippersnappers! Go figure, threw my back out. Getting old... I need to write a "Dear Hugh" letter and see how he would cope with this situation. Naphtali saw me hobbling around and though it was due to all the boxes I brought home. They are now neatly placed next to the boxes I packed up when leaving Medtronic 2 years ago. Hopefully not to suffer the same fate of neglect.

So during this unemployment period I'll try to catch up on the blogging. I was starting to get hate mail coming in from people who had their significant other pass out while holding their breath waiting for my next post.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Okay, this is quite possibly my favorite post yet! A picture of Hugh (you know you can NEVER go wrong with that!), and that lovely ballad. Which moved me - not to tears but who really cares?! I am looking forward to future posts since you now have more time on your hands - keep 'em coming!

ilona said...

i, too, am glad to see your return made in such rare form....
and i while i share stacy's optimism for more posts during your respite from the workaday world i also know that naphtali has plans for you, expectations to be met and i just honestly don't know how much free time you'll have. didn't you say something to the effect that you would gladly take over the household chores while you were between jobs this summer??
we do wish you well in the hunt.

christa said...

i can't say i loved your post quite as enthusiastically as the previous two comments, but at least you got it right by starting out with a picture of Hugh!! good luck in your job search!